Every International Health Insurance provider offers a range of plans and price points which target different types of business customers. Whether you’re an SME looking to protect your growing workforce of global employees, or a large corporation looking to protect high-net-worth individuals around the world; there’s a policy designed for you.
But is there one provider which we’d recommend above the rest?
To be honest, it’s not that simple. The best solution for you will depend on the exact requirements of your business, the scale of your international workforce and the spending power you have at your disposal.
In this blog post, we’ve listed nine of the best International Health Insurance companies operating in the market today. It’s designed to provide you with a valuable overview of the different providers to help you understand what’s available today.
Need one-to-one advice from an independent broker? Contact our team of AMII-affiliated experts for FREE quotes and guidance. Call +44 (0)1273 974419 or click on the bottom right chat box.
Top 9 Global Health Insurance Companies
1. April International
April International has been in the market for over 40 years now with over 150,000 insured members across 180 countries, 260 global employees, 20,000 distribution partners, and 12 offices worldwide. Their support for both SMEs and larger corporates are three-fold: long-term health insurance, short-term health insurance, and student health insurance.
- Medical expenses
- Repatriation assistance
- Private civil liability
- Death and disability
- International health insurance for SMEs and large corporates
- Specific regional solutions
- Case management
2. Allianz Worldwide Care
With more than 130 years of service for international organisations under its belt, Allianz Worldwide Care is a vastly experienced outfit. They are based across Europe, the Middle East, Australia, Asia, the Americas, and Africa with a network of 1.3 million providers and partners.
- Digital access to care resources/platforms
- Global telehealth services
- 24/7 multilingual helpline
- 3 different health insurance coverage plans – Essential, Classic, Premier
3. AXA Global Healthcare
Headquartered in France, AXA Global Healthcare is one of the top life and health insurance companies today. AXA Global now has over 1.4 million medical facilities worldwide, a medical network spread across nearly 150 countries, and 88% of its claims are paid in just 3 days.
They offer three options of cover for different-sized companies, simplifying the process of finding an appropriate level of cover:
- Cover for 1-74 employees
- Cover for 75-149 employees
- Cover for over 150 employees
> Further reading: A broker’s review of AXA Global Healthcare <
4. Bupa Global
Bupa Global is a UK organisation, with bases now spread across Australia, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, and Asia. They were established in 1971 and have grown to work with over 1.2 million medical providers, helping over 38 million customers.
Bupa Global provide customers with products and services to access the international healthcare they require anytime, anywhere in the world, advising through their global team of experts. Now partnered with GeoBlue, these two organisations also offer health insurance coverage to US citizens travelling abroad or any person moving to the US.
Bupa Global’s “Ultimate Health Plan”, has long been considered the most extensive in the market which makes it well-suited to high net-worth individuals.
5. Cigna Global
Spanning across over 200 countries and territories with a global network of 1.5 million healthcare providers, Cigna Global is another huge successful option for international healthcare and support. They have more than 60 years of experience in the market, constantly designing and managing International Group Health Insurance and employee benefits plans for their over 180 million global customers.
- EssentialCare – simple and flexible international health cover
- ExecutiveCare – comprehensive international health cover offering enhanced core cover
- EliteCare – premium international health cover
- Offers modular and flexible options to personalise any plan
Are you looking for FREE quotes on International Health Insurance tailored to your business? Click the ‘Get Quotes’ button at the top of the page or call 01273 974419 for impartial expert assistance.
6. Now Health International
Now Health International is a provider based in Hong Kong with regional service centres in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Dubai, Singapore, Jakarta, Malta, and the UK. In 2015, they acquired Best Doctors Insurance (a major medical insurance provider) with distribution throughout Latin America, Canada, and the Caribbean. The combination of both providers created one of the largest independent IPMI providers worldwide with 125,000 members, more than 370 staff members, and over 5,000 distribution partners.
- Micro group health option (3-9 employees)
- Mini-group health option (10-24 employees)
- Small group health option (25-49 employees)
- Medium group health option (50-99 employees)
- WorldCare – members have access to the best healthcare both at home and overseas
- SimpleCare – offers vital health protection and access to world-class medical facilities at an affordable price
7. William Russell
Entering the market in 1992 as part of the AWP Health & Life SA (Allianz Group), William Russell is growing at a successful rate now with a network of 40,000 hospitals worldwide, 75 employees, and members in over 160 countries. William Russell’s cover options and health insurance plans are available to any expats wanting to live and work anywhere in the world, aside from USA and Switzerland.
- Bronze health insurance plan
- SilverLite health insurance plan
- Silver health insurance plan
- Gold health insurance plan
- Cover for up-to-date cancer care and treatments, including providing wigs, counselling, dietitian consultations and more
8. UnitedHealthcare Global
Emerging from UnitedHealth Group in 2014, UnitedHealthcare Global aims to support globally mobile groups through a range of solutions targeting long and short-term assignments, individual travel, assistance and security services, and medical services. In the US, UnitedHealthcare Global is contracted with over 1.2 million physicians/care professionals and 6,500 hospitals/care facilities.
- Domestic and international benefits plans
- Customisable assistance, security, and intelligence services to meet specific needs of global businesses
- Remote medical services for extreme/challenging locations – on-site staffing, supplies, and virtual health support
9. Global Benefits Group
Global Benefits Group has over 40 years in the market distributing and underwriting international health, life, disability, educational, and travel insurance on a global level. They have offices in Serbia, California, India, South Africa, England, the Philippines, Florida, New Jersey, and China.
- Ability to tailor benefits to create your ideal plans e.g., low deductibles, robust benefits or increased deductibles, reduced benefits – according to budget and business need
- Partner with local insurance companies, meeting with specific country regulations
How do I find the best health insurance policy?
There is no one right answer as to who is the best International Health Insurance company. As we’ve already mentioned, it really depends on the precise nature of your business, the different territories you’re operating within and the budgetary power you’re able to wield.
If you contact a member of our team, we’ll give you the chance to ask all the questions you’ve ever wanted to ask about International Health Insurance and other related topics – cutting the time you would otherwise spend researching online. We’ll then advise on the best policies currently available on the market and deliver a range of quotes FREE of charge.
Engage is fully independent of any one insurance provider, meaning we can give you completely impartial advice in your best interest.
To kickstart your search, contact us at +44 (0)1273 974419 or use the contact form on the right.